Below is the QUICK COURSE. If you would like to sign up for the free 30 Day Essential Oil Intensive CLICK HERE.
This quick course part of the Live Well book by Jen O’Sullivan (used with permission) and is designed to give you a general overview of essential oils. It should only take you about 20 minutes to read through. We hope you enjoy this little journey to help you understand why we love essential oils so much!
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OILS?
Essential oils are the life-force of plants. They help the plant to regulate itself and add health and overall wellness. These oils can work in much the same way for us. There are three ways to use essential oils: aromatically, topically, and internally. It takes 20 minutes for an essential oil to reach every cell in your body from the time you apply them. There are around 100 trillion cells in our bodies, and one drop of essential oil contains over 40 million trillion molecules! This means every single cell in our body, in 20 minutes, is covered by 400,000 essential oil molecules.
HOW DO YOU USE ESSENTIAL OILS?
You may use essential oils in one of three ways: aromatically, topically, and even internally. Each bottle is labeled for proper use. The following are some guidelines to help get you started.
- AROMATIC: Smell the essential oil directly from the bottle or your hand, or use a cold water diffuser.
- TOPICAL: Place a drop into your palm and rub the essential oil on the back of the neck, bottom of the feet, wrists, spine, top of the head, or anywhere there is a need. Use a carrier oil when needed.
- INTERNAL: Only use essential oils that are labeled for consumption from the Vitality line. You may add a drop or two into an empty capsule and top off with a carrier oil, use a drop under your tongue, add a drop to a glass or stainless steel water bottle, or add a drop to honey or another edible item.
IS QUALITY IMPORTANT?
“Young Living is proud to set the standard for essential oil purity and authenticity by carefully monitoring the production of our oils through our unique Seed to Seal process. From the time the seed is sourced until the oil is sealed in the bottle, we apply rigorous quality controls to ensure that you are receiving essential oils exactly the way nature intended.” ~ www.seedtoseal.com
- STEP 1: SEED Seeds are carefully selected by experts based on the previous year crop potency and effectiveness.
- STEP 2: CULTIVATE Using only sustainable methods, our farming practices set the bar around the world.
- STEP 3: DISTILL We are the largest innovator of oil distillation using several proprietary techniques.
- STEP 4: TEST We test all oils using our internal labs, and 3rd party testing. Our standards are higher than international standards.
- STEP 5: SEAL Each bottle is carefully packaged to ensure a perfect product shipped directly to you.
There are 4 types of oils on the market today.
- Authentic: 100% pure ~ Single Species
Authentic essential oils are 100% pure throughout the bottle. There are no added synthetics or other species of oils. They make up the small minority of all essential oils on the market.
- Manipulated: 100% pure ~ Multi-Species
Perfumers are often hired by essential oil companies to help make the final product smell more pleasing and less earthy. They will take away some of the heavier molecules or add very small amounts of another species to enhance the aroma.
- Perfume: pure + Synthetic
You will often see an essential oil labeled as “pure” when they are not. There is a percentage of pure essential oil and a percentage of synthetic to enhance the final aroma. These types of oils often cause headaches and do not have any therapeutic action.
- Synthetic: 100% Synthetic
These “essential oils” are not essential oils at all. Because there are no labeling regulations on the term “essential oil,” full synthetic oils are able to be labeled as pure and sold to unsuspecting consumers to increase profit. These often smell nothing like the original plant, but they can be very close, and that is why a consumer may not know they are synthetic and have possible severe negative reactions.
Here is a diagram to help you visually understand the types. Rest assured, Young Living only creates AUTHENTIC essential oils for you and your family!
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT TOXINS IN OUR HOMES:
- Personal care products contain some of the worst toxic chemicals. In a study by NIOSH, they tested 2,938 chemicals and found that 884 are toxic, 778 cause acute toxicity, 376 are skin and eye irritants, 314 may cause biological mutations, 218 may cause reproductive complications, and 146 may cause tumors. Source: United States House of Representatives Report from the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), 1989.
- The EPA stated as of 1980 that there are 70,000 chemicals that have been introduced into our environment since 1950. It has been also stated by the US Congress that it is estimated there are 3,000 new chemicals introduced every year. Source: EPA, “Your Guide to the Environmental Protection Agency,” December 1980. “Technologies and Management Strategies for Hazardous Waste Control,” March 1983 by the United States Congress, Office of Technology Assessment.
- There was an average of 150,000 emergency room treated injuries associated with household chemicals from 1997-2004. Source: National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, 1997-2004 as stated in the 2007 Hazard Screening Report – Home and Family Maintenance Products – Household Chemicals by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- “Each year, 90,000 children are treated in emergency departments for unintentional poisonings. Nearly 40 die. 90% of poison incidents happen at home.” Source: The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission “Poison Prevention Poster,” 2013.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO DIFFUSING?
Cold-water diffusers are essential to any family that wants to promote a more healthful environment.
The benefits of diffusing:
- Supports more restful sleep.
- Supports better daytime focus.
- Promotes healthy air quality.
- Helps force dust to the floor.
- Creates a healthy ionized room.
- Promotes an uplifting environment.
- Helps neutralize odors.
- Safer alternative to candles.
- Helps to elevate moods.
- Promotes better energy.
LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT OILS & PRODUCTS COME IN THE PREMIUM STARTER KIT: CLICK HERE
Please do not copy any information on this site. The content is copyrighted by Jen O’Sullivan and is for educational purposes only. None of the information is intended to treat, heal, or cure any disease or illness. Please consult with your doctor before changing your health regimen.
© 2017 by Jen O’Sullivan, from “Live Well, Essential Oils for Wellness, Purpose, and Abundance”